Advertisement period extended: applications accepted until 26 March 2019!
- Key role delivering technical and advisory water stewardship services in China and the Asia-Pacific region.
- Work with private sector clients in the textile, chemical, food and beverage, microelectronics and agriculture sectors
- Full-time limited term appointment (12 months, renewable) based in Shanghai
The Alliance for Water Stewardship (AWS) is a global multi-stakeholder organisation comprising businesses, government and non-government organisations. Our members unite under our mission to protect and enhance the sustainability of water resources through water stewardship.
The AWS approach to water stewardship is embodied in the International Water Stewardship Standard, also known as the AWS Standard. The AWS Standard is a globally applicable framework that drives, recognises, and rewards good water management practices. As the custodian of the AWS Standard, AWS oversees the governance and management of the AWS Standard and its quality assurance systems.
AWS Asia-Pacific is a founding member and regional partner of AWS. AWS Asia-Pacific leads the development of water stewardship in the region by training, advising, and supporting organisations in implementing water stewardship. Our staff are currently based in Australia, China and Indonesia.
We are expanding our Asia-Pacific project portfolio under the auspices of the Australian Water Partnership-funded Indo-Pacific Water Stewardship Program 2019-22. The Program aims to develop water stewardship capacity and uptake in Indonesia through continued engagement with businesses, the public sector and civil society.
This is an exciting opportunity to support our expanding suite of projects in China and the Asia-Pacific region.
As Project Manager China, you will lead the delivery of AWS’s technical service and provide in-depth advisory services to private sector clients, specifically in the identification, assessment and implementation of AWS water stewardship solutions.
Reporting to the Regional Director Asia-Pacific, your responsibilities include:
- Developing catchment profiles and conducting analysis of shared water challenges and risks in targeted catchments;
- Independently conducting desktop study on client water use and discharge profile, management performance, cost analysis and against industrial benchmarks;
- Conducting scoping and in-depth assessments to validate initial assessment, collect additional information, and identify water & resource efficiency investment opportunities, with the support of sectoral experts;
- Engaging external sub-contracted expertise on an as-needed basis and oversee quality of their work;
- Working closely with global and regional team to track and report project results in the region against performance indicators;
- Supporting preparation of proposals for donor support or client engagement as required;
- Contributing to AWS knowledge base by systematically consolidating and analysing lessons learned from implementation experience and share with regional and global team; and
- For the various programs undertaken, developing publications and case studies containing commercial and technical information on the relevant program.
This is a full-time limited term appointment (12 months) with the possibility of renewal. This role is based in Shanghai. Regular domestic and regional (Southeast Asia) travel is required for this role. After business hours work may be required to accommodate partner time zones.
You are a mid-level water professional with a solid understanding of water and water processes particularly in an industrial setting. An excellent communicator, you will be able to work independently, manage projects, and liaise with senior professionals in the private and public sectors. You will understand and be comfortable with multi-stakeholder processes and be able to win respect for the quality and usefulness of your contribution supporting industrial and other water users adopting and implementing the AWS Standard.
- Master’s degree in water management, engineering or related discipline and at least 5 years of relevant experience;
- Technical background/competency with recognized track record in delivering technical advice in industrial water consultancy assignments;
- Proven experience working with private sector clients in textile, chemical, food & beverage, microelectronics and/or agricultural sectors is a plus;
- Self-starter with strong problem-solving skills, including ability to demonstrate the business case for improving water management for private sector clients;
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely for expert and non-expert audiences, excellent presentation skills;
- Well-networked within the professional community in relevant industries preferred;
- Excellent fluency in English and Chinese is a must; and
- Ability to undertake frequent travel within China and South East Asia.
How to Apply
Please submit a one-page expression of interest and a personal profile of no more than two pages with the subject line “Project Manager China Application” to recruitment(at)waterstewardship.org.au by 5 p.m. on Tuesday 26 March 2019.
Applicants should include their remuneration expectations in the application.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact recruitment(at)waterstewardship.org.au with the subject line “Project Manager China Inquiry”.